Sunday 28 October 2012

1908 - Harvesting grain

First of January 1908 - My wife says she was going to work for three or four months, she had got tired of being left alone. Well I should say so, for a women with one small boy, miles from her nearest neighbors. She got work in Langham so I am left alone with the boy. I had lots of work to do going and getting fire wood and also getting logs for to build a house with. I had been forced to burn other logs I had got out for the same purpose.

Well spring came round again. I had twenty acres ready for wheat, also three acres for garden truck. After seeding, my wife came home and with the money she earned we bought a cow and a few chickens so it looked like becoming a farm now. I broke 15 more acres this summer then up hay. All was cut by my oxen. Then harvest - I had to get one of my neighbors to cut my grain. I had no binder and paid him seven dollars for cutting it. I then stacked it thinking of saving the cost there as between stook and stack threshing. I had four big stacks but when the thresher started out he would not come and thresh my grain although he had to pass me within 150 yards. his excuse was I had stacked it - it was too small a crop, it would not pay him although this same man was mighty glad to have 10 acres of crop threshed with an old time outfit, my oxen employed on the same to thresh his 10 acres. I had 20 acres and a good crop at that so my grain remained in stack all winter making it necessary for me or my wife to go out to work again.

This was awful discouragement. My wife would go this time to Raddison, it was near. It was only 14 miles so we saw one another oftener. This ends 1908.

No comments:

Post a Comment