Sunday 28 October 2012

March 1909 - May 1910 - Selling wheat crop

1909 - Still getting logs out. March, here snow going away. There was another farmer two miles away from me had not got threshed, he would not let the thresher that passed me thresh his crop because he had made a bum job at another place he had been at so he asked another thresher man to thresh him. He had a big crop, well was considered a big crop then - 125 acres. When I saw him threshing there I went to ask him if he could come and thresh my little bit. He said "I certainly will, I was coming anyhow". His name was Mr Comboy. He lived 16 miles from my place. I told him I had not ready cash to pay him with. "That's all right. Anytime you have got it will do for me".

Thank God all men are not alike anyhow the snow had drifted in my stacks a little and made some of the wheat tough.When I took it to the elevator one offered me 35 cents per bushel. I would not let them have it because No. one hard wheat was then 75 cents per bushel. Oh I was awful discouraged. I said no to them I will take it back and dump it in the river before I will take that price for it. It was splendid wheat, only for being a bit tough.

There was two elevators and a flour mill at Radisson. A farmer who had heard them say what they would give for my wheat came to me and told me to take it to the flour mill as he had means to dry it. I did so. The mill man asked me how my wheat became tough, I told him. "It's a shame, that wheat was the best wheat that had ever come in Radisson. How much have you". I said about 450 bushels. "I will give you 65 cents per bushel if you will bring it in as quick as you can say in a weeks time and keep turning it over in the meantime" All right" I says, He said he would have given me 75 cents but he wanted 10 cents for drying it.

I was satisfied he had lifted my heart back in it's place. He advised me not to save any of it for seed but buy fresh seed which I did. So after buying seed, paying the threshing bill, paying for the cutting there was not such a great sum left for me.

After seeding was over the people my wife had worked for in Langham the year before wrote a letter asking her if she would like to come and work for them again. She went, taking the boy with her so that he would go to school as there was no school near us. This time she was away twelve months.

This year crop was poor, it was too dry. I had no more wheat off my 40 acres than I had off 20 the year before. I was now all one through the winter 1909 and 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment