Sunday 28 October 2012

Spring / Summer 1906 - Other workers get typhoid

I came back to town to work. I needed the money. I had to crop only my garden. Well I landed town again, meets a man I worked with on the sewer job. "Hello Mr. Battersby, coming into work again?" "yes". "Well for Heavens sake don't go in the sewers again" "Why?" "you know so and so -" I did not know them by their proper names but when he described them I did, Well they're dead and buried and ever so many more with typhoid fever. I know all of them well but not by name. Good strong healthy young men cut off so young in life - yea, I might say they gave their lives helping to build Saskatoon, some of them lying in Woodlawn Cemetery without a mark to say where they lay. I took the fellow's advice. I did not start work on the sewers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment