Sunday 28 October 2012

October 1907 - Working in Sutherland

I had left myself 5 cents to come to Saskatoon with 45 miles, this beginning of October. This was the second time for me to land in town without money. They was finishing building the C.P.R. station then, I had got meals given to me on the road so I had my 5 cents still. I was foot sore and tired but I went right away to get a job. "We are laying men off" says the boss, "No I cannot give you a job".

I went to the Immigration Hall to stay for the night. It was supper time now. There was two men in, they could see I was all in. "Come in from the Country?" they asked. "yes". "Had supper?" "No, nor no money to get any with". They gave me some supper that night. It was Friday. A butcher came to the Hall, he wanted two men to shake out roe hinds he had laying in salt. I had never done it before but I was ready to try alright. "Come along tomorrow morning" I did, without breakfast. I worked till noon. They was in a slaughter house a little ways in the country.

We came in for dinner. I asked the butcher for 25 cents so I could get some dinner. "No money?" "No". He gave it me of course I could ask for it now I had worked for it. I went to the B.C. cafe on 20th Street East. There was just one chair vacant. I sat down too sick and too dazed to notice anyone at the table, when "Hello Mr. Battersby when did you come in?" "Yesterday". "Coming to work?" "Yes". "Well you get out to Sutherland , no chance of work in town". He told me the pay they was paying, he told me he would not be seeing me again as he was going right away. I thanked him for the information.

I went back and worked the rest of the day shaking out the hides. We had not quite finished when darkness came and we could do no more.. The butcher asked me if I could come Monday morning. I said No. I wanted to get to Sutherland to get a job there. If I came to you there only about on hours of work it nigh lose me a two or three month job. "All right" he says. Paid me two Dollars and Fifty for my day work. this is Saturday night.

I bought a little food to carry me over Sunday. Monday morning starts for Sutherland, gets across the traffic bridge was a gang of men grading the long hill. I was passing on when to my surprise I heard my name called. "Hello Mr Battersby, when did you come in?" I answered Friday. "Are you coming in to work?" "Yes" "Well you can start right now for me. I want a man. It was Mr. Davis who had spoken to me my name. I had worked for him in 1906. "What wages are you paying Mr. Davis?" "$45.00 a month". "Oh I can do better than that" I says. "Where?" "At the round house Sutherland" "Yes but I think they have got all the men they want now" "Well I would like to go and see, you know Mr. Davis I need every extra dollar I can get". "All right, if you don't get started come back to me. I will hold it for you". "Thank you Mr. Davis, that lifts a load off my shoulders"

Anyhow it sent me on with a much lighter heart. Get a little further on the road meets another gang, this time they are strangers. "going to work" cried the boss. "Yes". "Well you can start with us" "How much are you paying?" "Forty Five Dollars a month". I gave him the same reply as I had Mr. Davis. "All right, if you don't get on at the round house our camp is near the round house camp, go there stay till noon and I will give you a job".

Well thank God there was two jobs waiting for me . A little further and up comes a man with horse and buggy, stops, gets in. "Going to the round house?" he asks. "Yes" "Why didn't you start with the old man?" "Don't you know me? I am Davis son." "Well well, I had not recognized you." I told him what his father had said. "Well I can take you back if you don't start".

We reached the place when the foreman over the brick layers meets us. "You want a job." "Yes" "Can you run lime?" Before I could answer young Davis says "Yes and you cannot get a better man". "That's the man I want and only man". "You have got all the men you want now". Then turning to me he says "I cannot take you back now". I smiled, thanked him for his kindness. I worked until the brick work was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment