Sunday 28 October 2012

Spring 1914 - Buying new land

I came to Saskatoon to see what I could do. I was in every real estate office in the City I believe until my eyes fell upon something very striking. $10.00 down $10.00 a month will buy 10 acres of land at 125 dollars per acre to $175.00 per acre. Great land for market gardening, only six miles from City. Now is your chance. This was awful tempting because I had done well with my vegetables I brought in Saskatoon so I snatched at this like a drowning man will grasp at a straw to save himself. This was spring 1914.

I put down 10 dollars, summer followed, the land, it was dirty with weeds and moved on the 10 acre lot. I traded off my cattle for horses and implements I moved. I sold my garden produce again in Saskatoon. We would bring some implements each time and dug a well on this place like starting all over again. Then the war started.

No comments:

Post a Comment