Sunday 28 October 2012

September 15th 1905 - Broken ribs

I worked three weeks when I got hurt with a scraper handle striking me in the chest breaking my ribs. I stayed around the camp for a day or so, no better - I then asked for my check which was just $10.00 after paying for my board and a pair of blankets which I had to have. We were grading near what is now called Asquith now not far from Eagle Creek. I started for home carrying my blankets in a bag, follows the course of the creek afraid to leave it because my place was only 3-1/2 miles from the mouth. I was afraid I might get lost if I did.

I had tramped about 6 miles when I came to a farm house, they gave me some dinner and was very glad of the news I could give them about the railroad grading. I have come to know these people's names since then. Their names are McTaffishes, Asquith.

Leaves here, walks and walks, my pains in chest getting more painful. It is now getting dark. I see a light in the distance, heads for it, the more I walked the further the light seemed to go away from me. I could not carry my blankets on my back any further. I had to drag them on the ground behind me.

I reached the house where the light was and they were Norwegians. Asked to be allowed to stay, "No understand". "will you make me some hot tea" do not understand again, cannot speak English, goes to the barn and calls his son. He understands a little English. Told him what I wanted, he quickly had some supper for me. "Me know you, he says, "Me see you lots time on trail Saskatoon you Oxen, Blue Red Oxen", "Yes", homestead across Eagle Creek?" "yes" "Me know". "How far am I from the Eagle Creek Post Office" I asked. "Just one mile". Only one mile, awfully surprised because I did not know where I was. Only 4-1/2 miles from home, Oh what a joyous feeling although it was a sod shack

I got home by noon time the next day. Walked just over one mile per hour. My chest was paining me so. My boys had seen me coming when I was quite a distance off and came running to meet me. "Mama's come, landed three or four days ago". Well this was another surprise because I did not expect her for another month or so. It was a good thing she was here. I was so sick in two weeks I was feeling a lot better but I was not all right by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment