Sunday 28 October 2012

March 24th 1898 - Arrive in Canada

Sailed for Canada 24th day of March 1898, landed Halifax first day of April, took train for Winnipeg finally landing in Wawanesa Manitoba; stayed there three months.

I did not like the looks of the Country, it looked to me such a wide desolate place so I packed up and went East to Montreal then to Valley Field P.Q. and followed my trade there as a Loomfitter. Stayed eighteen months then left for Newbedford U.S.A. and worked there four years but the call for Canada kept ringing in my ears till I made up my mind to come back.

Newbedford USA 1902

(click for larger image)
(1) - Robert Battersby Sr (p.b.- my great great grandfather)
(2) - Rose Battersby (p.b. - my great great grandmother)
(3) - Nathaniel Battersby (p.b. my great grandfather)
(4) - Robert Battersby Jr (p.b. my great uncle))


[p.b : image of passenger manifest from the Parisian on April 1 1898 - Robert Battersby is 15th from the bottom of the list - be sure to zoom in on the image]

No comments:

Post a Comment